Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympics? Huh?



So. We don't have TV. By choice. We have A TV, we just don't get any stations.

Yep, it was my idea--my proposal---my "extreme lifestyle suggestion", and I got called on it, and now we haven't had TV for a year last April.




I love it.

SER-iously.

Here was my reasoning:
We (read: I) were spending way too much time crashed in front of the TV, mindlessly watching HGTV (I Heart HGTV and miss it.), Food Network, Spike TV, Travel Channel, etc. You may have noticed the word mindlessly. It seems to have been a theme in areas of my life in the past. Mindlessly eating, mindlessly watching TV, mindlessly driving, mindlessly finding the cure for cancer........the list goes on, people.

Since I didn't have the self control to just not eat what I didn't want, not watch TV when I didn't want to watch it, etc.-----we would just remove the temptation.

And I really feel obligated to tell you: I love not having TV.

I am way more productive. Or I feel like I am. I might waste time on the computer, but I feel like I am usually learning something or doing something productive..........I know--checking the photos of the day on the "People" website probably doesn't count.

Now, when we want to watch something, it is mindful. It is on purpose.

We have to plan out and go to the library to check out a video (Series right now: Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. I heart her.)

OR we have to purposefully, mindfully get in the car and go to the video store to rent a movie. And it can't be crap. We both have to agree on it; there have been a couple times this summer we have left empty handed. I KNOW!!!!! I can't believe it either.

OR we use an iTunes gift card and download a season of a show. Current series: West Wing. I heart this show. I could watch these over and over (Until about season 5 and then it got a little hokey cheesy trying too hard for my tastes....); which is why we are buying the series. The writing was so good.

Needless to say, I watch much less TV. Plus, I love telling my high school kids, dropping it slyly into a lecture or casual conversation, that I don't have TV.

Stupification. Looks of utter lack of comprehension. A few looks of fear and panic. They don't get it. Some even drool or go into catatonic state.

I see "Does Not Compute." flashing behind their eyes alternating with a red flashing warning of "System Overload". They cannot fathom a life that is not electronically connected 24/7.

How do I get the news? they ask. Internet. The radio in the morning. This thing called the newspaper.

Which brings me back to the title of the post. I have not watched one minute of the Olympics. Not one. I heard about the 8 golds, I heard about the Swedish wrestler (Poor form, poor form, dude.), the Chinese gymnasts, the US Softball team, the Opening Ceremonies, the Beach Volleyball team.......I got the highlights.

There are some times when we wish we had TV. We have said, "Tonight would be a good night to veg in front of the tube." And then, since we can't........we find something to do.
I feel like Half-Pint.....except for me, it would more realistically be "Full Quart" or "Half Gallon"....going back to Pioneer days.

1 comment:

Goldfish said...

I kind of miss not having a tv. But there's football. I can't not watch football. And I check the "People" photos at least twice a day....