Monday, August 11, 2008

County Fair...



We went to the County Fair this weekend. I have never been to a county fair. Is there something missing in my life? Not anymore! I went to the County Fair.

I liked it. The Carnies. Enough said.

The families: mom and dad walking around zombie-like in the heat pushing Kid 3 in the Outback Stroller (Kid 3 is nicely sunburned), Kid 1 and Kid 2 cruising around the parents like meth-head bumblebees all hopped on all the sugar and just the kid-adrenaline of a County Fair (The Rides, the Midway Games to be played and lost...pouting to ensue....). Flitting and flapping to and fro from the Stroller/Parent home base to various and sundry rides and games, "Mom!Mom!MOM! Come and look at this/Can I rise that one/I bet I could win that stuffed animal..MOM! CanICanICanICanI???"

The mounted County Sheriffs patrolling on horses. Just the assurance that we need. I liked that.

The Demolition Derby announcer (you had to pay extra to get into the Grandstand for THAT show), reminding people if they wanted to leave the Grandstand area, they just needed to get a wristband to get back in. We heard him say at least 7 times within the hour that we were there, "Just a reminder folks, if you want to go out and get a beer and have a good time while you are at the fair, don't forget your wristband. You can go out and get a beer and have a good time." Should we be concerned about the encouragement to drink and then get in a car and crash into each other? Although to be fair, he WAS talking to spectators and not participants.

Let's not overlook the FFA kids who have spent the better part of 4 days in the pens, barns, competition ring and /or (sometimes simultaneously...) flirting.


We went in every building taking at least a quick run through....looking at all the entries for competition. To get to the Big Show.....the State Fair.

There were cheese curds. I haven't had cheese curds in probably 15 years. We got some and I had maybe 4 or 5. They were good, but I ate what I wanted and enjoyed them and didn't feel guilty about the whole thing at all. I actually felt quite proud of myself for eating a few and then stopping. In the past, I would have had my OWN container and eaten them all mindlessly. Not this time, pal. Yay. Yay me.

Plus, I got to see all kinds of chickens. I want to have my own chickens and seeing all the cool lookin' birds only confirmed my desires......

No comments: