Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Kid You Not: Cucumber Soup



Yep. I'm a fan. Cold Soup.....I have yet to try Gazpacho in my life, but that is next on my list because I didn't think I would like this, but I do. I really do.

I learned to like it and how to make it while living in Bulgaria. This recipe is from my host mother in Bulgaria. I lived with her and her family for three months to learn Bulgarian before moving on to my teaching job in a small town in the Balkan Mountains.

What the h*ll was I doing in Bulgaria?!!? Peace Corps, baby, Peace Corps. Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. America, for providing me the opportunity to both serve and live in another country on your (and my) dime.

Here's how you make Tarator Soup:

You need plain, unflavored yogurt, water, olive oil, salt, a cucumber (I only had a half, but I was only make enough for me; the recipe calls for one cuke, but it serves 2-3 people.), fresh dill, garlic and walnuts.

Huh?!?! Walnuts? I know. They are optional so if you are allergic, that's cool.


Peel the cucumber and dice that baby up. One might even be inclined to mince if you don't like chunky soup. I do. And I am lazy.

I added a pinch of salt and then later added more. You can always add more, depending on your tastes.

Then, you dice up a clove, or two, or three of garlic. I can't presume to know how much you love or hate garlic, so use your best judgement.

A few caveats: it does need at least a little garlic. If you are going to let it sit in the fridge for a while, use less garlic. The garlic will make itself known the longer it sits. It can becoming overpowering. It will eventually beat down the door and demand to be heard. I used one big clove.

At this point, I am already not following the recipe's order. The garlic is supposed to go with the yogurt, oil, water and dill in a separate place, get the crap shaken out of it to mix it and then poured over the cuke.

My thought is: It's all going to the same place and I can mix it up really well in the bowl I already have in use. If you are a purist of following a recipe and afraid to boldly go forth and scoff at the recipe's order of steps........don't do what I am doing.

If you are a purist, you would have another bowl, and to the garlic, add the dill. I have dumped the dill, chopped as finely as you like, in with the garlic and the cuke, and the salt.


We need to talk about yogurt. No fancy schmanzy flavored variety. You want plain, unflavored, nothing added to it business. You could use greek yogurt for a more authentic, thicker version. If you can find Bulgarian yogurt, use that. It is rather hard to find and essentially about the same as Greek yogurt. Tangy, thick and stout. Almost sounds like a good beer.

I recently got a yogurt maker and I love it. Now, I have just admitted I am lazy above, and this yogurt making is not a big deal to me. The store bought is fine. I like making my yogurt.....I make our bread in the bread machine as well. I am no Martha Stewart; I just like knowing what is going into my food, and if it is easy, I can be consistent about making it myself without preservatives. I shall not judge nor try to convert you from your current food practices.
It really is easy. This is about 6 ounces of yogurt.

Dump it into the same (Purist: separate bowl still.) bowl.

Mix it well. You don't want a clump of dill hitting your tastes buds and catching you by surprise.

You will also need to add some water to thin it out to the soup consistency you prefer. It's pretty thick otherwise; somehow Cold Cucumber Stew doesn't sound as refreshing, yes?

I just used my same yogurt jar and filled it almost halfway, about 3 ounces. It is still pretty thick, but I like it on the thicker side.

Mix some more. If you have been paying attention, you will have notices that I did not add/use the oil. I decided I didn't want it in there. I prefer it without, someone else might say it is crucial. Try it both ways and make up your own mind.

At this point, you are done. Chop up some walnuts and toss 'em on top. Serve. I used to not put walnuts on because it kind of ooked me out. The crunch with the creamy. But we are always evolving and I tried it with walnuts this summer. I must say, I am a fan. It really does make a difference to me. It adds that certain something. So. Use 'em, don't use 'em.....makes no difference to me. Just know that when you come to my house, you're getting walnuts whether or not you want them. Well, not if you are allergic; I don't want to kill ya. And I guess of you really don't want have walnuts, I won't make you have them. I am not a walnut fascist.

Try the soup. You might be pleasantly be surprised.

Here is the full on recipe:

Tarator
1 large cucumber sliced thinly or grated (about 2 cups)
1 small onion, sliced very thinly (optional) (My mom didn't make it with onion, but I've had it with and it is good.)
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1.5 cups yogurt
.25-.50 cups water, depending on desired thickness level
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
salt

Mix cucumber and onion in a serving bowl. In a jar (or not), shake/mix together the yogurt, oil, water,garlic and dill. Pour over cucumber and onion. garnish with chopped walnuts and serve. Makes 2-3 servings.

1 comment:

Goldfish said...

This sounds awesome! I'm craving it now and I've never even had it....