Tuesday, August 5, 2008

So. Here's the deal. I teach. I have summers "off". I have some time on my hands and I have become addicted to blogs. Reading them, checking in on them, following them...let's be honest right from the get go...judging. Always judging. I kid. (No, I don't.) I became intrigued. I became obsessed. I became a little jealous of have a place to put down all your musings, thoughts, ideas, what-have-you.....I wanted to have fun, too.
I will explain the title of the blog because I can't fathom where to begin the verbal vomit other than that.

In Minnesota, and it may be true for other parts of the Midwest, there is a style of speaking that feels like home. You can pretty much say or ask anything, random or not, useful...or not, and then you add to the end (or sometimes beginning) "So." or "Then" and the wacky "there" might be used anywhere in the sentence. Let's explore some examples:

"So....I was talking to Cathy about her piles..." Used as an introduction.

"I've always had an odd dislike for the taste of earwax. So." Used a verbal period. A "What do ya think a that?" kinda vibe.

"Are you having the sex change, then?" Asking an uncomfortable question in a nonchalant way.

"Looks like you cut your hair, then." Used for stating the obvious, but also to begin a conversation awkwardly. You could mix it up with "there" in the same type of situation: "Looks like you got your hair cut, there."

So. (See?) That's my deal. I may have random thoughts and conversations that must exit my brain. It be a rant. It may be a rave. You never know.

Tomorrow: Abysmal shoe choices for the fuller footed gal.

No comments: