Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Fuller Footed Gal

I have begun a walking regimen.....I mean...I have made the decision to begin a walking regimen and my old sneaks have seen better days.

I have big feet. There, I said it. Size 11, if you must know. Now, while this does not cause me embarrassment or shame, it does serve to frustrate me beyond belief if I go shoe shopping. Most stores (read: "almost all") only carry shoes up to size 10 for women. Nice. Great. Can I fit into a 10? Sure, and often did in my teens and 20s. And, if we are honest, into my early 30s. I am 38. I hit a point where I finally realized a couple of years ago: That was dumb. My feet hurt and it really didn't matter how cute the shoes were, "Fashion before Function." does not apply here.
So, yesterday, I went to DSW. Discount Shoe Warehouse, for those of you who are unlucky enough to not have one in your community.

I heart DSW.

The angel choirs sometimes sing when I walk through the doors. So many shoes and usually shoes larger than 10 for women. Yesterday, my quest was for walking shoes. I had three choices. THREE, People. A whole warehouse full, FULL, of shoes and there are three choices in my size. The choices: a metallic pink and metallic silver Adidas jobbie. A puke slate blue WITH metallic silver piping. And these babies.

The ones above, the ones I ultimately chose, are yes, you see correctly, metallic gold. Metallic. I don't get it. Why is that in fashion now? What am I, 13? And if I am and I heart the gold shoes, how miserable is my world if I am 13 and wearing size 11 already??? (Flashback to junior high, 7th grade when I was already 5'10''. Yep. No scarring of my psyche there. )

But, I digress. the question thus begs to be asked, "IF you don't like the shoes, then WHY did you buy them, Jackass?" Well, truth be told...I don't really care.

They are shoes.

They are not a tattoo on my face.

Do they serve the purpose I bought them for? Yes.

Am I really all that concerned with what people think of my footwear choices? Minimally.

And, I didn't want to spend a crapload of time going to a different store looking for shoes that would probably cost more. I wanted shoes immediamente. I have begun a walking regimen....I have made the decision to start a walking regimen.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I think I have fallen deeply in love with a Fuller Footed Teacher, so.