Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Time Travel

If you could time travel for real, 'when' would you go to? This may or may not be the social studies nerd in me to even be asking the question. I have a couple times: I couldn't pick one. And these are in no particular order. And this wouldn't be just a jump back in time and then return. You'd have to get a real feel for it; if you wanted to, I might consider letting you stay in that time if you really liked it. I'm cool like that.

--Roarin' 20s for sure. Just to see all the things going on; new inventions (cars, movies, radio, telephone, light bulbs, electricity--all that was brand new and changing fast), Great Gatsby type parties (Yeah, I am pretty sure I would be part of the upper class....right. I am now?? It's like the version of everybody thinking they were someone famous in a former life...if you are into thining you had a former life), plus changes for women with the vote and fashion and new freedoms in society. I would just want to see it all unfolding.

--But, I'd want to get back here before 1929 and all the whole Great Depression thing that comes after. That I will keep in the history books, please and thank you.

--1860s with Westward Expansion...everyone moving west to claim their homestead. The conflicts, the hope, the new beginnings. I want to see a town spring up overnight and see how people survived out on the prairie. The American Dream, right? I'd love to be there to chronicle it all from the immigrants' perspective, the Native Americans' perspective, the older than first generation Americans' perspective.....go sit in a Mercantile General Store somewhere and just people watch.

I think that is why I like playing this mind game of "What would you..." or "What if...". In this case, I like watching people and making up their stories for myself. It would be fun to add in the factor of a different era.

---Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome. Of course, again, as part of the upper class. Why make it miserable? Sure, I could get that perspective as well, but why not dream big, yeah?

---The 60s in the United States. All the changes, all the conflict, all the upheaval, all the drama. I love drama and change. They might or might not be two of my favorite pastimes, it could be argued. Plus, again, with the people watching.

---Victorian England. Just because. I am not a huge fan of conventionality, strict moral edicts, restricted society or that ilk. But it would be cool to be walking around in it knowing that I could leave.

1 comment:

Goldfish said...

My one and only answer to this question is, "Little House on the Prairie." Period. (Ask my sister about my obsession.) I spent the better part of my childhood pretending to be Laura Ingalls. I can't even think of another time I'd travel to. I know I'm not very original....