Saturday, November 22, 2008

Terms of Endearment.

This is not about the movie. Cripes, what a bawl baby fest. I will not willing watch that movie again......unless I am wallowing in self-pity and need something to kick start a sobbing jag to cleanse the system. You know the kind from when you were eight. Suckin' in the air, can't breathe, loudly sobbing. Ah, good times.

What I actually had been thinking about was actual terms of endearment. The standards: "Honey", "Sweetheart", "Dear". I really don't like "Dear". In fact, I despise it. It just seems patronizing to me. I am not sure why.....maybe a movie from the 50s or something?

I like and use "Baby". I love "Love". I love "My Love" even more. "Babe".

"Sweet Baboo" is a personal fave. A lot.

"Cupcake", "Sweets", lots of food oriented tags.

How do we get to them? The Sweet-Based names make sense, someone who brings sweetness into your life and you want to acknowledge that sweetness. (I like "sweetness" as a term of endearment also.....I get called that occasionally and it makes me melt. Not really sure why. And not really care why.)

When I lived in Italy, there were many for kids that I loved: Piccinino (Little Pigeon). Zuccona. (Big Squash/pumpkin) Tesoro Mio (My Treasure)

We kind of have those odd ones: We use "Pumpkin", too. Why? How did that get to be a thing? Pumpkins are orange. They are big and fat. They sit on the stoop. We carve them in October. How the heck do they imply love or endearment?

What terms of endearment am I forgetting?

3 comments:

Goldfish said...

I'm kind of fond of "sweet cheeks," which I totally didn't understand until I had these babies with fat, scrumptious cheeks and I felt this compulsion to nibble on them. I like to make up lovey names for the kids. Jensen was, for some reason, "Peanut Butter." (I think I expounded on Peanut.") Caleb has recently become Sweet Potato, for no explicable reason. (Why the non-sweet food theme?)

Ali said...

Terd Blossom.

Brittany said...

Babe. I always use babe. And my hubby still calls me his girl...swoon.