Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vaticano and the heat that belongs in August, not June.

Arrived in Rome mid afternoon and drift around to various sites: Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps.....ah, Roma.


Piazza Navona is always a favorite. My first visit was Palm Sunday and we stayed in Mauro's sister's apartment for the weekend. Down one of the small alleyways leading from the piazza....no more than a half block from the piazza. I had no idea what a great location the apartment was in or that I have no hope of ever being in that central of a location for a home base again.

It was Carnivale time as well, and kids were dressed up in costumes to celebrate. It is similar to Halloween here, but less horror based and more whimsical.

The next day on this trip was packed with activity and HEAT. 40 degrees centigrade.  We saw the Vatican, the Sistine chapel, the Colosseum, and the Roman Forum....and five hours of free time while others in the group chose to go to the catacombs. Underground. Underground and away from the sun and heat.

I ended up using my umbrella to shade myself; I was surprised and quite pleased to find that it made a huge difference. A dry heat is so different from a humid heat that is common in Minnesota. Shade provides no relief, you just swelter. But under my umbrella, the heat was surprisingly bearable.


No comments: