Thursday, June 14, 2012

Underestimation.

I had always heard that Pisa was kind of nothing special...it is just the tower and then that is it.

Pisa. I apologize; I underestimated you. The tower that leans, yes....It is there. And, yes, it leans. But there was some kind of fab mojo going on.....great weather, good kids to chaperone, no problems to deal with, a wonderful tour guide named Lettizia, and then the baptistery.

The Baptistry. We got there for the acoustic demonstration. We had our tour and happened to be in the Baptistry at 5:30 when they closed the doors and one of the security/door keepers came and stood at the center by the baptismal font and started toning....not really singing, just more of tuning up or singing tones on the scale. I am sure there is some sort of terminology for it but I am not a singer is I don't know it.

The echo and the acoustics on the room were like nothing I had ever heard before; it was like she was singing in a chorus with herself. It was her voice, but she would change notes....tones, really because there were no words or anything....so that it was a call and response with herself. Really quite splendid and those of you that know me will not be surprised by this next statement. I got teary as it was just such cool experience. I get like like when I feel overwhelmed by something. And in this case I was just so overwhelmed with the unexpected uniqueness if the experience.

I realize that they do thus everyday at 5:30, but for going into it with low expectations and just getting wowed.....this is why I love travel.

Delightful.

No comments: