Sunday, September 23, 2012

Do you know what makes you happy?

If you had to, could you come up with a succinct answer in 30 seconds? I'd even give a person a full on minute if they needed it.

Shouldn't I ideally be able to answer that question in that amount if time?

Shouldn't anyone?

I ask because I am not sure I would be satisfied with the completeness of an answer I wound give right now. I would, without hesitation, have a solid start. My husband and our marriage, our dog, having good health---that is maybe more grateful than happy----a beautiful fall day with crisp autumn air and sun.

But much beyond that? I falter a little. Would you? What would you say beyond the 'obvious'? Would you feel obligated to say your relationship with family? Baggage and all? Your kids? Your job?

I want to know what truly---no societal pressure or expectations to say the right things---makes me happy. What is only mine, not dependent on outside factors or people...but what is mine in my heart and within my control. Really, it shouldn't be that hard----and if it is, then all the more reason to ruminate, yes?

I don't feel lost, I just feel a dissatisfaction----for lack of a better word----with my status quo...and have for some time.

I do tend to fester about decisions, and to be honest, I have been stuck for a couple years. Generally, I mull things over, make the best decision I can and move on. This time, I seem to be spinning my wheels WAY longer that even I am comfortable with.

So. There.

The challenge is to figure it honestly out and then have the courage to act on whatever that is.

Challenge accepted.

No comments: